Roof, Hook, Corley, Sox, Shull, Seay, Buff.
These were the names to be found on the rural mailboxes scattered along Platt Springs Road at the turn of the 20th century. A family traveling by horse and buggy could count the houses that were visible from the road on the fingers of one hand. Two sawmills, an apple orchard, and a dairy farm comprised the commercial sector of the community for the majority of its unincorporated existence.
One of the most important steps in the progress of the community was the paving of Platt Springs Road, which was completed on October 20, 1948. In the mid-1950s, a movement was underway to fold the community into West Columbia. The feeling of community pride was strong and, not wanting to lose that pride, the residents held an election on June 7, 1955 to determine if the people in the community would rather incorporate into a town. The incorporation was approved by a vote of 35 to 24 and a name for the new town was sought.
The name of Springdale was chosen from several, being an appropriate choice due to the many springs located within the town. Mr. Job Roof was elected to serve as the first Mayor and the first Town Council was made up of Mr. Jeff Roof, Mr. John B. Sox, Mr. Horace Lown, and Mr. Horace Wise. Having no municipal building in which to meet, the first council meeting was held in an automobile under an oak tree at the corner of Platt Springs Road and Springdale Road.
Soon after the town was incorporated, the townspeople discovered a need for a community building. Since no taxes were levied, citizens relied on community effort, cooperation, hard work, imagination, and teamwork to accomplish the task. Mr. B.M. Gunter, Springdale’s first Town Clerk, donated a plot of land on Platt Springs Road in the center of town to be used as the site of the building. Local businesses and community groups donated supplies and raised money to help get the Town Hall completed.
Shortly after the Town Hall was finished, the Springdale Women’s Club bought the land adjacent to the building to be used as a park. Over the years, playground equipment, a basketball court, and a splash pool have been added, making the park a desirable spot for the town’s young (and young at heart) citizens.
From the 1980s to today, the public infrastructure of the town has been modernized to enhance the quality of life in the community. In addition, the installation of sidewalks and pedestrian lighting has encouraged walking, dining, and shopping throughout Springdale.
The small town charm, southern hospitality, and family values that have flourished in the community over the past century remain alive and well in the Springdale of today.